I have written a paper about an alternative form of government which I call Ikanocracy. I would invite people to read the paper HERE.


In this blog I will be commenting on events in politics, government and current affairs and discussing how things would be different (and hopefully better) in a Ikanocracy.


The goal of this blog is to disseminate the ideas of Ikanocracy to as many people as possible and to start a discussion about improving politics and government.

Tuesday 22 November 2011

Why you should support Ikanocracy!

If  I was in charge, things would be running so much better! 

I could make much better decisions than those idiots in (insert government seat here)!

If you agree with the above statements, then Ikanocracy is for you. In the long term, it gives all you, and other good decision makers, a chance to accumulate vote share and have a real effect on government decisions.

Perhaps you don't have that much confidence in your decision making capability. Here are two reasons why you should still support Ikanocracy. First is the completely selfless reason that while you may not have confidence in your own decision making, you can be confident that people who do make good decisions will have more say in Ikanocracy. Second, you may actually still be a good decision maker but have fallen prey to the Dunning-Kruger effect.  This is an interesting psychological phenomenon,  where persons of low competence are unable to assess their own competence level relative to their peers and so often have an unwarranted and erroneously high level of confidence in their ability, while persons of high competence tend to assume a high competence level in their peers, and so often have a erroneously low level of confidence in their ability. This leads to a general  inverse relation between competence and confidence.

This worries me a bit, since I created Ikanocracy partly as a "release valve" for my frustrations with our current political system. Too many times I saw politicians (municipal, provincial or national) making what I considered to be hare-brained decisions, and too many times I thought that I could do better. Perhaps I am on the wrong side of the Dunning-Kruger effect. Well, I am willing to take my chances. If someday Ikanocracy is adopted and  my voting share erodes, I will at least have the satisfaction of knowing that good decisions are being made.

No comments:

Post a Comment